Tuesday, October 1, 2013

It's harvest time, it's harvest time, there's canning all around!

That is what has been happening at our house this last month.  We have been very busy canning and getting our food storage ready for the winter.  I have really enjoyed canning as I have gotten older.  It always feels so good when I know I have put the hard work into it.  I have been very blessed to be able to get the things I need at a pretty good price.  Jon has helped me as much as he can. 

We started out the season canning peaches.   And boy were they good.  I started peaches a little earlier this year and used a different variety.  I was very pleased with them.

I skipped out on pears this year.  I decided since Jon doesn't really like them, I had plenty from the previous year. So the next thing we moved on to was beans.  I did beans for a really long time.  I grew my own beans this year.  I got so many I started to give them away.  Unfortunately I had to let them go to seed, because everyone seemed to be good with beans.  I'm excited to be able to grow them for next year.







After beans, it was time to can Tomatoes.  I needed a lot of tomatoes this year.  Jon and I had a fun time doing these.  It is so nice to have him help me.  I don't get quite so tired when he does.




Jon and I love Harvest Soup, so we also made some of that.  We only did one batch because we still had some from last year.







My garden this year did really great.  I planted 2 plants of cucumbers and got a LOT of cucumbers.  At one point I had 15 cucumbers sitting on my counter.  So I decided to try something new this year, and make pickles.  I sliced them all so they would be good for hamburgers.  I was a little worried about doing it, because I had never done it and didn't know how they would turn out.  But they turned out to be really good.  They weren't even that mushy.  If I plant cucumbers again next year, I will definitely do this again. 



Recently we just froze corn.  Boy was that a job.  Mom, Lisa and I got together in Grandview and went to work on all of our corn.  It ended up being an all day job because we had so much, but everyone helped out.  Even Grandpa and Grandma!!  We had such a good time working together.








The last thing I need to do this year is applesauce.  I'm not sure when we will be able to do that yet, but once the applesauce is done, I will be done canning for the year!!!  That will be good because the Holiday season is right around the corner.  Thanks to everyone who helped out, and provided ways for me to get the things I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment